Maple hardwood flooring is a popular choice with Medina homeowners because of its versatile look and natural durability. Learn more about it from our team at Floor Coverings International Medina.
About Maple Hardwood
Maple is a classic hardwood that is also native to North America. It has several different species that stem from its genus “Acer.” Each has a slightly different appearance, hardness level, and other unique characteristics. The hardest maple is the sugar maple, which is the same sturdy wood used in basketball courts and bowling alleys. It has a gorgeous light color and takes on stains and finishes well. Sugar maple, also called hard maple, has a Janka hardness score of 1450, which makes it the toughest type of maple hardwood for your floor. Other species of maple are called “soft maples” because they score lower on the Janka scale (700-900).
- Affordability. Maple floors are domestic species, which means that the overhead costs of shipping won’t hike up its price like they do with exotics. Softer maples are also more affordable than the sugar maple for their lower durability.
- Versatility. Most maples are known for their light color and gentle straight grains. They can take on a variety of stains and finishes to expand their design capabilities.
- Durability. If you choose a hard maple, you’ll have the “home court” advantage of an extremely tough floor. You can rest easy knowing that your floor is made of the same material that has to stand up to bowling balls!
- Easy to keep clean. If you have dust and dirt accumulating on your wood floor, it’s easy to spot. A light vacuum, broom, or mop infused with a special wood cleaner is all you need to periodically clean your maple floors.
- Can be refinished. Maple floors, especially the softer species, can be scratched and dented from heavy use. In this case, your floors will need to be sanded and refinished.
Ready to install maple hardwood floors? Call Floor Coverings International Medina and schedule a free consultation today. We are proud to serve homeowners in Medina, Wadsworth, Wooster and beyond!
You might also be interested in:
Photo Credit: Artazum